Source: Sara Allison
My Husband’s Rating:
Will I make again?: Yes!
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Time Involved: Quick
Occasion: Weeknight dinner or when you are craving take-out
About this Recipe
Chicken Fried Rice is one of our favorite dishes, and we don’t eat it often due to the fact that there is not much nutrition in it. So, I have started making Chicken Fried Rice with Cauliflower Rice. While I can’t claim that it’s as good as the original (actual rice) version, it does work to satisfy your craving without throwing your diet out the window.
The ingredients mainly consist of chicken, cauliflower rice, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, green onions, frozen vegetables, eggs and some seasonings and oil.
I personally love when fried rice is loaded with vegetables, and this one is. The frozen vegetables cut the cooking and prep time, and when combined with the fresh onion, garlic and red bell pepper, they create a nice flavor with the cauliflower rice. Feel free to add whatever vegetables you like and/or have on hand. I think Bok Choy would be great in here.
You can make this with or without the chicken. It’s easy to throw some Rotisserie Chicken Breasts in here, or to use leftovers, but if it’s an extra step you don’t want to take, then by all means, leave it out.
It is really important to use butter and oil. That’s how they do it at the Hibachi restaurants, and so that’s how I like to do it at home. My favorite Hibachi restaurant also uses the parsley, which is why I added it.
This is a nice healthy dish that’s loaded with nutrition. Sure, it isn’t exactly like the delicious fat and carb-infested Fried Rice, but it’s a nice substitute!
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 4 green onion tops
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables such as peas, carrots and green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 oz. cauliflower rice
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 4 tablespoons Low-Sodium Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a large nonstick saute pan, on medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, red pepper and green onions. Saute for about 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Once it’s melted, add the frozen vegetables and cook for about 3-4 minutes until heated throughout.
- Add the 16 oz. of cauliflower rice, the shredded chicken, salt, and pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes, and push it over to the side of the pan.
- Add the eggs to the empty side of the pan and scramble. Then combine everything and add the 4 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Finally, stir in the fresh parsley and serve!