Source: Sara Allison
My Husband’s Rating:
Will I make again?: Yes!
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Time Involved: Quick to put in the Slow Cooker
Occasion: Weeknight dinner or when someone is under-the-weather
About this Recipe
This Slow Cooker Polish Sausage and Cabbage Soup is extremely flavorful and comforting. If you have a busy day, this is a perfect recipe for using your Slow Cooker to have a hearty meal ready at dinnertime.
The ingredients mainly consist of polish sausage, potatoes, cabbage, onion, chicken broth, beer and a bunch of spices.
This soup has a lot of flavor and spice, so if that’s not your thing, then tone down the spices listed. In the past, I have used Emeril’s Original Essence Seasoning, but I couldn’t find it at the store, so I have re-created it in the recipe. You could always use the Essence if you find it, and it’s easier. If you are serving kids, I would leave out the cayenne.
This soup is simple to throw together. I have used chicken/turkey sausage in the place of polish, and my advice would be to pick a really flavorful variety like Italian Sausage. It really needs the extra spice if it’s not coming from the meat. The polish sausage is really the best for this, but use whatever makes you happy!
I made this soup recently after not making it for a while, and I had forgotten how much we like it. Give it a try sometime!
Slow Cooker Polish Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage or Cole Slaw Mix
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 14 oz polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 12 oz beer
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- green onions for garnish
- Combine everything in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. You may need to add more broth or water to have the soup consistency you like. Garnish with the green onions.